Day One's Direct Services Program provides free and confidential counseling, case management, as well as legal advice, information, and direct representation to young people aged 24 and under related to dating abuse. Day One offers its direct services in both English and Spanish. We now provide additional services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/gender non-conforming, queer, and questioning youth who are struggling with intimate partner abuse.
Day One's social services program assists clients affected by dating abuse through:
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling sessions
- LGBTQ survivors support group
- Case management services for clients in need of housing, shelter, public benefits, or advocacy in an educational setting
- Accompaniment to police precincts to file criminal reports
Day One's legal services program assists clients affected by dating abuse through:
- Assistance in filing for and obtaining Orders of Protection
- Full representation at Family Court hearings for orders of protection, paternity, custody, visitation, and child support
- Assistance in filing for domestic violence-based immigration relief, such as VAWA petitions, Battered Spouse Waivers, and U Visas
- Advocacy and support navigating the criminal justice system with the goal of obtaining an Order of Protection
- Advocacy in an educational setting, such as assistance in obtaining a school safety transfer
- Advocacy and representation in administrative proceedings for public assistance, housing, and other benefits
- Assistance with emancipation for young adults in need of public benefits and/or shelter due to intimate partner abuse
We also conduct policy advocacy to expand young people's eligibility for and access to resources related to intimate partner violence.
If you'd like to refer a young person for legal or social services, please download and complete our client referral form.
For more information...
- Click here to download a flier about all of direct services.
- Click here to download a flier for service providers about our new LGBTQ services.
- Click here to download a flier for youth about our new LGBTQ services.
If you need help, you can call our confidential Helpline at 800.214.4150 or text (646) 535-DAY1 (3291).
Please make sure to use a safe computer and email account or phone to contact us.