Day One is currently seeking:
Day One seeks an energetic and creative candidate to facilitate its Community Education Program in schools and youth-serving programs. The Community Educator will conduct community outreach and participate in the delivery of preventive and informative workshops to end intimate partner violence (IPV) among youth and link young people already experiencing such violence to direct assistance.
Day One Overview
Since 2003, Day One has been the only organization in New York devoting its full resources to preventing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Day One partners with New York City youth to end IPV through a combination of preventive and direct services. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service and education service provision. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, our Direct Services Program provides direct legal representation, advice and information, individual and group counseling and case management services to clients. Through the Community Education Program, Day One educates young people in schools and youth programs about IPV and the law, and trains professionals and parents to support teens experiencing abuse. Our Youth Voices Network is a group of young survivors who conduct awareness and advocacy projects, sharing their stories to promote healing and prevention.
Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
Responsibilities of Community Educator
- Conduct community outreach and awareness activities at locations (including schools, community gatherings, health fairs for example) throughout New York City
- Teach a healthy relationships curriculum addressing dating abuse, domestic violence and the law, sexual assault/consent and coercion to youth ages 24 and under, caregivers, and professionals working with youth
- Coordinate scheduling and invoicing for the Community Education Program
- Assist in the development of materials and workshops for use in Community Education Program and other programs as needed
- Work with Day One staff to determine program direction and expansion, including participating in strategic planning and program evaluation activities
- Represent Day One at community-based events, panels and conferences
- Participate in community meetings on behalf of Day One
- Assist in tracking program data through maintenance of databases and measurement tools
- Assist with supervision of interns and volunteers
- Maintain a flexible schedule, allowing for early morning, evening or weekend workshops or presentation
- Willingness to conduct frequent travel throughout the five boroughs
- Collaborate with Day One staff to take on other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree or minimum of 4 years of experience teaching/training youth
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Facility working with diverse groups of youth, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender-identified youth, immigrant youth, individuals in crisis and/or low-income communities
- Training/teaching experience strongly preferred
- Commitment to the empowerment of young people
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative setting
- Exceptional written, verbal and organizational skills
- Interest in working in a small nonprofit setting to support a growing organization
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail and time management skills
- Experience with Word and Excel and database systems preferred
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; a 401k retirement plan with match; and generous vacation.
To Apply: Please send by email a resume and a cover letter including current salary to Michele Paolella, Director of Social Services & Training, at email@example.com.
We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One. Day One is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ-identified and differently-abled candidates to apply.
Application deadline October 13, 2016